The area we know today as Royds Moor, covers an area of fields from Wickersley to Whiston. It is said that Grange Farm, Morthen, Roydsmoor Farm, and Woodside, situated on the corner of Morthen Road, Wickersley and Wood Lane, all date from medieval times.It is believed Woodside was a cell belonging to Roche Abbey; Grange Farm, may have been a monk's cell belong to Rufford Abbey. The De Rodes family took possession of Roydsmoor circa 1100. It has also been suggested that the Roddis family of Whiston and Wickersley, descended from De Rodes.
Gerard de Rodes, was a prominent baron who lived in the reigns of Henry II, Richard I, John and Henry III
Quitclaim by Matildis daughter of Roger de Rodes, widow, of her right in land in Rodes (now Roydsmoor) late belonging to her father, as contained in a confirmation by her and Adam her late husband, in a final concord made before the justices at York for William son of Peter de Rodes. Witnesses: Sir Robt. de Wykerley (Wickersley), Robt. de Neutona, Robt de Ulley, Roger de Wystan (Whiston), Hen. de Morthing ( Morthen), Walter de Branton (Brampton-en-le-Morthen), Ric de Torpe.
1238? Grant by Adam son of Thos. de Morthin with consent of Matilda his wife to Wm. son of Peter de Rodes, of his tenement in the town of Rode now held by him or inherited in right of his wife, for fourteen and a half marks fine and 1d. yearly rent ; and due service to the castle of Cunigbur’. (Conisbrough) If Matilda survive, she may revoke this grant on providing an equally good tenement from her husband's inheritance in Wytstan. Witnesses: Sir Robt. de Wvkereslev, Sir Wm. parson of Mauthebv ( Maltby), Sir Philip ( Hesseley) parson of Ireton (Treeton), Ric. de Lachton ( Laughton), John de Seggebroeg, Hen. de Morthing, John de Githweth ( Guilthwaite).
Dated 9th May 1342. Demise by Wm. son of Hugh del Rodes to Wm. Shepehirde of Morthynge of 3 acres 1 rood and 1 'sikettum prati'¹ in the fields of le Rodes whereof one and a half acres are in a plot under the Barweheeng, 1 acre abutting on the meadow of the prior of Wyrkesop (Worksop), 1 acre almost in the same place, abutting on the said meadow and on the Hyngesyk of the said Wm., 1 rood in the same furlong (stadio) abutting on the headland and the Heengsyk and the sikettum prati adjoins the acre which abuts on the prior's meadow; for 20 years at 3s. rent The Rodes, Ascension day, 1342.
1. sikettum prati = syke
Feet of Fines: Westminster. Morrow of Souls, 16 Edw. Ill, 1342. Quindene of Hilary, 17 Edw. Ill, 1343. Hugh de Tolchill, quer., William le Shephird of Morthyng and Agnes his wife, def., of one messuage, 50 acres of land, and 2 acres of meadow, in Whistan and Wykerslay: To hold to William and Agnes for their lives, of Hugh and his heirs, paying yearly 7d. at the Nativity of St. John Baptist for all service to them, and doing all other services to the chief lords ; reversion to Hugh and his heirs.
Grant by Hugh son of Ralf de Hwitstan (Whiston) to Roger son of Hugh de Eaton, of 5 acres in his assart in Hwitstan field, between the land of Matilda de Becton(Beighton), late wife of John de Becton (Beighton), and the grantor's land, which is on the west ; bounded at one end by the outlet of the town of Hwitstan (Whiston) towards the wood, and at the other by the stream of Ulleya ; for 1 and a half d. yearly rent, and 28s. beforehand. Witnesses:Sir Robt. de Wikerell, Sir John Chaplain of Hwitstan, John de Treton ( Treeton). Hugh Marescallus, Roger de Hwitstan, John de Gilchreit (Guilthwaite), Rob. de Ulleya, John Seggebroc.
Westminster. Octave of Hilary, 17 Edw. Ill, 1343. Thomas de Furnyval and Margaret his wife, quer., William dc Slotheby, parson of the church of Wylughby, and John de Neuton, chaplain, def., of the castle and manor of Shefeld, and of 2bs. rent in Whistan, and of the advowson of the church of Handisworth : To hold to Thomas and Margaret and the heirs of their bodies, of the King and his heirs ; remainder to the right heirs of Thomas. This concord was made by precept of the King.
10 March 1344: Grant by Ralf son of Robert Wade of Ullay
Chaplain, to Wm. Bonet of Anstan of his land and
tenements in Whitstan (Whiston) and Morthyng (Morthen) granted to him by Thos. son of William Skrounck
of Whitstan. Witnesses: Hugh de Totehill, Wm. del Rodes,
John de Neuton, Hen. de Hinkershill, Wm. del Brome (Broom).
Whitstan. Thursday before the feast of S. Gregory the Pope. 1344.
21 March 1344 Grant by Wm. Bonet of Anstan to Adam
Gamel of Morthyng of 2 messuages in the town of Whitstan, and 35 acres 3
of arable land in the fields of Whitstan and Morthyng;
messuage with croft containing one acre, in the town of
between the toft of Wm. de Brome (Broom) on either side, held in
dower by Eva late wife of Adam de Whitstan; another
messuage called Coddeyerd in
the same town, with a plot of land and meadow adjoining
Thirswelleflat, with a plot of wood and pasture called
le Cloegh, and
one acre adjoining called Brereacre by the land of Hugh
acre and one plot of meadow called Tourneberg',
in Whitstan and Morthyng field, on the east of the way
leading from Roderham to Wirksop; 9 acres of arable land
by the king's highway from Whitstan
to Morthyng, on the north side, in two places in les
Baroflattes, with one
piece of meadow adjoining called Baroheng; (Half acre)
adjoining lying on les Fenewes; half an acre in the same
field between the
land of John de Neuton on both sides ; half acre between
the land of ...gsburgh and the land of Wm. Norys; Two and a half acres in
the same field between the land of John de Neuton on the
east and the land of
John de Conygsburgh on the west abutting on the highway;
half an acre
with meadow adjoining in the same field between the land
of Wm. del
Brome (Broom) on both sides, abutting on the highway ; half an
acre with meadow adjoining in the same furlong between
the land of Wm. Norys and
the land of Wm. Bercar' abutting on the highway; 1 acre
meadow adjoining by the way to Schitergrene between the
land of John de Neuton and Wm. del Brome; 1 acre in two
places abutting on Morthyngcroft; 3 roods in the south
field between Whitstan and Morthyng between the land of
John de Nenton on both sides abutting
on the highway; 1 rood in the same field between the land of Wm. del Brome
and Simon Hervy, abutting on the highway; 1 rood in
the same furlong between the land of John de Neuton and
the land of
Adam Camel, abutting on the highway; 3 roods in the same
between the land of John de Neuton on both sides abutting on the highway;
1 rood called Selyrode between the land of Wm. del Brome
and Simon Hervy; half an acre between Holdestawegate
and the land of Wm.
del Brome; 3 roods in the same field on the east of the
the land of John de Neuton on both sides; 1 acre in the
same field on
the west of the windmill between the land of Wm. Bercar'
and John de Conygsburgh; one and a half acres in the
same field between Stawegate and the land
of John de Conygsburgh; one and a half acres with meadow
adjoining at Hestynschate between the land of John de
Neuton on both sides; 1 rood with
meadow adjoining between the land of Wm. del Brome and
Simon Hervy abutting on Horscroft ; 1 acre with meadow
adjoining between the land of Wm. del Brome and John de
Neuton, abutting on Horscroft; one rood with meadow
adjoining on les Brodehadelandes between the land of Wm.
Bercar and Wm. del Brome; half an acre with meadow adjoining
on les Brodehadelandes between the land of Wm. Norys and
John de Conygsburgh; 3 acres with meadow adjoining on
Brodehadelandes; 1 acre with meadow adjoining in the
same furlong in 2 places between the
land of John de Neuton and the land of Wm. del Brome; and
half an acre
with meadow adjoining in the same furlong between the
land of the Prior of Wirkesop and John de Neuton; all
which he had by grant of Sir Ralf son of Robert Wade of
Witnesses: Hugh de Totehil, Wm. del Rodes, John de Neuton, Wm. de Ullay, Hen. de Hinkershill, Wm. del Brome, Wm. Bynne. Whitstan, Monday before the Annunciation. 1334, 19 Edw. iii
Grant by Thomas son of John de Giltwayt to William de Bentlay of four acres of land in the territory of Giltwayt ; one acre of which lies in Mathencroft, whereof one end abuts on the high road leading to Roderham, and the other end on the culture of John de Giltwayt; and two acres of land nearest the land of Richard Prudfot, on the north, in Middil fiirlang; and one acre, whereof one end abuts on Middilfurlang and the other on the Treton brook, nearest the land of Thomas son of Hervey on the north. Paying yearly three halfpence on St. Oswald's day (August 5) for all service. Consideration, 2s. Witnesses, Jordan de Tretona, John son of Nicholas, John de Seggebroc, Thomas de Morthing, Roger son of Hugh, John de Giltwayt, Robert Binni and others. Date unknown, probably between 1268 and 1298
30 May 1342. Grant by Wm. Dinny of Gilthwayt to
John son of Jolan de Neuton of Whitstan (Whiston) of 12 acres
of arable land and a plot of meadow, and half an acre abutting
thereon, which follows the road (que cheminag¹ caltatur), which
plot is called Sothewode, in Gilthwayt fields.
Witnesses: Wm. del Brom (Broom), Ric. Cook (coco) of Brampton. Hen. de Hyntershill, Simon Heryn, John de Blida, clerk. Gilthwayt'
Sunday aftn" Corpus Christi, 1342.
1 - Toll
2 March. 1409/10 Grant by John Gamul of
Walyawod (Waleswood) to Wm. Penyston of Treton (Treeton) of
one toft, with buildings and a garden in the town
of Gythewaite between the tenement of the lord of Fournyoale (Furnival)
on tbe north, and tbe tenement of Robt. de Bekyngham on the south, extending from
the land of the said Robt on the west to the highway on the
east, which he had by feoffment of John Westrin.( West)
Witnesses: John Darcy, Ric. Inkershill, Robt. Dynny, Wm. Holbrok, Thos. Attewelle.
Guilthewaite, Sunday after St. Matthias' day, II Henry IV.